Leeds Civic Hall information
Calverley Street, Leeds LS1 1UR England, UK
Leeds Civic Hall is one of the finest civic buildings in Britain and built in off white Portland stone. The front of the building with it's two 170 ft (150m) towers, Roman Corinthiam style portico with 6 columns, overlooks Millenium Square.
The building contains Leeds City Council offices. The civic hall is also near to the Town Hall, Leeds Metro University, Leeds College of Technology, Leeds College of Art and the Carriageworks theatre
Meetings of the full city council are held in the grand council chamber.
The Civic Hall was opened by King George V in 1933
Places of interst within the Civic Hall
- The Great Entrance Hall, a huge T shaped room located behind the impressive wrought iron gates on the front of the building, note the carpet with it's Leeds coat of arms.
- The Grand Staircase made from alternative steps of black marble and Hopton wood stone, the magnificent staicase passes fabulous stained glass windows
- The Reception Hall with it's display of Civic plate, the throne made for Queen Victoria when she opened Leeds Town Hall in 1858
- The Lord Mayors Room & Lady Mayoress's Room
- East and West Rooms
- Banquet Hall
- Council Chamber