House of Hanover cont.
George II 1727 60
|1727||Holy Trinity Church opened in Buhr Lane (Boar Lane)|
|1730||Leeds Bridge widened|
|1750||Before this date the area West of the bar on Buhr Lane (Boar Lane) i.e. the station, City Square, Park Row was open fields|
|1753||Turnpike riots. Rioters objecting to turnpike charges attack the Old Kings Arm tavern, frequented by turnpike commissioners and Magistrates. Troops quell the riot after shooting 8 rioters. The Old Kings Arm tavern was also known to hold cock fights,|
|1754||The Leeds Intelligence newspaper appeared, later to become Yorkshire Post|
|1755||Street lighting was introduced in the form of oil lamps.|
|1756 8||The massive Coloured Cloth Hall built for the trade that made Leeds Great. On the site that is now city Square and the General Post Office.|
|1758||The Middleton Colliery Railway, claims to be the oldest railway in the world. More|
George III 1760 1820
George III was born on 4 June 1738 in London, the eldest son of Frederick, Prince of Wales, and Princess Augusta of Saxe Gotha. He became heir to the throne on the death of his father in 1751, succeeding his grandfather, George II, in 1760. He was the third Hanoverian monarch and the first one to be born in England and to use English as his first language. George III purchased Buckingham House in in 1761, later to be enlarged to Buckingham palace by George IV.
George III, was the longest reigning king in British History. He suffered from an illness. At the time he was thought to be mad. Medical historians think the illness was a hereditary physical disorder called porphyria that produced toxins in his body.
|1760||Leeds Bridge widened again|
|1763||American War of Independence|
|1765||The 1st General Infirmary opened in Kirkgate.|
|1768||Leeds Library built.|
|1768||2nd General Infirmary built in the country side just to the North West of the present City square hence Infirmary Street.|
||Leeds and Liverpool Canal is being built.
|1771||The New Theatre, Hunslet Lane, the first theatre in Leeds|
|1773||The lockside warehouse built|
|The town was never exclusively a wool town, craft industries of pottery making, linen manufacture, printing and engineering are developing. Industries locate in the borough because of cheap coal, good manufacturing facilities and very cheap transport the 2 canals and the Middleton Colliery Railway which enabled raw materials to be brought cheaply in bulk to the town.|
|1775||Coloured Cloth Hall built in the Calls|
|1776||The first infirmary was opened.
Stone warehouse used to store grain, designed by Robert Owen, an engineer with the Leeds and Liverpool Canal built at Granary Wharf
|1777||The Assembly Rooms built for Balls dancing, and card playing. Now the building situated in the Exchange Quarter contain a restaurant and a night club.|
|1780's||The building of the 1st two story"back to back" terraced streets to house the growing labour force,. Built in York Street and Quarry Hill.|
|1783||The first coach to operate from The Rose and Crown (demolished in 1889) was the Defiance running between Leeds and Hull.|
Benjamin Gott builds the massive Bean Ing Mills (site of Yorkshire Post). See display in Armley Mills Museum
John Marshall 0pens a flax mill in Holbeck.